Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Showdown at High Noon

I'm back, although not quite ready. I have World Cup fever and it was only heightened by spending the last two weeks in Europe. We had a great time seeing new things and eating wonderful food, but I also had an experience that I don't believe will ever happen in the US.
We watched the world cup match of Germany vs. Argentina in Nuremberg in the middle of the alt stadt (old city) and rejoiced with the entire country when Germany won. I have never seen anything quite like it up close... Air horns and car horns blaring, people screaming, flags waving, dancing in the streets. Check out this article.
If I were home, maybe Corvallis was like that with the Beaver World Series win!
Anyway, I'm just coming out of my jet lag fog, so I'm not planning on writing too much. But as I sit here listening to thunder, I'm wondering if we'll be "stormed out" of the evening fireworks...
but honestly, I'm most excited to watch Germany and Italy square off at noon with Italy!
I wish I could be there!
Happy 4th everyone... ~ch
Italy wins 2-0 over Germany ; (

7 comments:

Vita said...

Hello. Umm. Here it is July 4, and your flags are German and Italian. Ha ha. Wasn't that thunder great? Did the whole fam have fun?

Unknown said...

Yeah... I went outside this morning to hang the German flag and thought hey, this doesn't seem quite right : ) I'm hanging it anyway, as I'm not quite right either.

Shawnde said...

We drove past a house with the German flag on the front door. Was it you? Sorry about the game. That was a tough ending.

Unknown said...

Nope, not on the door... but it was a tough loss.
Oh well... I should be outside playing in the sunshine!

Corvallist said...

Welcome back! Sounds like an epic trip. I'm insanely jealous. :)

Unknown said...

Hi C, (not the punch)
Yes, it was a great trip and I want to go back soon! I'm insanely jealous of everyone who gets to stay : )

Vita said...

Thank you for bringing DD home! Did you enjoy the fireworks?