Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Assumptions

Recently I read an opinion in the Corvallis GT that remarked about the wonderful time had by all at our recently held Da Vinci Days. However, the writer stuck in a dig at Republicans with "The playful, high-spirited displays of inventive minds made this always popular tribute to good-old Leonardo a decidedly unhappy place for Republicans."

I was bothered by the comment, but the opinions page is just that... Opinions. Mr. de Vogel certainly has a right to express his opinions, however "partiest" (OK. Partiest is not a word, but I think you get the idea) it is. It was my assumption that Democrats, Liberals, Liberal Democrats, independents, etc. Are proud to be accepting of all people no matter race, religion, or sexual preference. I did not understand that this acceptance was not allotted to those who are a member of the Republican party.

Anyway, today Mr. de Vogel clears things up with another letter to the editor in today's paper.
For the record...
I do not go to rodeos. I do not go to circuses. I do not like to go to zoos, but the one time I went to the Portland zoo, it seemed alright. I don't mind aquariums for some reason.

The way I choose to live my life and my party affiliation don't always mesh. Actually, I would say they collide...

The comments made to the GT were from those of someone experiencing tunnel vision. I hope in time, his vision of others will widen.

Geez, I'm on a rant... sorry.

~ch

10 comments:

Michael Smith said...

I barely read the “Letters” section anymore. Too many people on both sides of the political spectrum seem too lazy to engage their brain before they pick up a pen or hit the keyboard. Far too many of the letters lack any substance on issues and most are just eager to throw rocks at someone. They end up simply showing their own shortcomings.

I’m glad the blogosphere attracts a higher class following where I can have witty repartee with my intellectual peers.

Unknown said...

Now I wish I had something clever and witty to say...dang.

Vita said...

Now why are you assuming that democrats are open minded? Some democrats are no doubt open minded, but clearly not all, so maybe open-mindedness is not relative to political affiliation? We must watch vigilantly for those pesky assumptions and irradicate them.

More "assuming" is that the GT's letters to the editor are more twaddle than not. I followed your link, and only Leo de Vogel's letter was narrow-minded and predjudiced. The others were well-written and well-thought out. Unlike my reply, so I'd better stop before I get into trouble. Oh-oh. Is it too late?

MsAmber said...

Still waiting on those art gallery photos.
I can't comment on the DaVinci days festivities. I missed all the hubbub. Damn the living in Oklahoma!
MsAmber

Unknown said...

Hey Ms. Amber! You still read me? That's very cool : )
I didn't take one picture while I was there. Not only that... I didn't even go down to the beach! I had a great time visiting with my family, and seeing how adored my mom is by her friends and community.
Sorry about the picture thing.

Vita,
You are correct about every party having narrow minded people. This one just really got to me... I dunno.

Vita said...

You are my first, my only commentor, making you special and unique.

Vita said...

I think you are right and the annoying letter-to-the-editor writer was very irritating and unfair.

crallspace said...

Don't let it erk ya.

I'm sure most liberals who read that had a chuckle, but realized it was obsurd.

It's like how I occasionally get mad when certain cons say that liberals are against everything decent... It's obsurd.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Hip. I clicked on your T-Mobile ad, and it was all fun and cute and stuff.

Unknown said...

Hey look, I have a T-mobile ad!