Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Accepting Criticism Sucks.


Like the title says... Criticism Sucks. I need to face facts and realize I can't please everyone.
So, by now, you've put two and two together and get that I was the recipient of criticism today.
Dang.
I was told today that I'm "abrupt, rude, disrepectful and unapproachable." This is actually the first time I've ever been given this feedback, so it came a shock. I do wonder why I wasn't told this in January (by the parent) when this all apparently started. I suppose it's because I was unapproachable. I phoned the parent, because I was concerned for this child in class today, so I made a call home to check in... Boy did I open the flood gates.
I won't let it stop me from making similar calls in the future, because I want to keep the communication open... but it does cause one to think twice.

Teachers do what they do because they actually enjoy working with the kids... Otherwise, why would we teach?

Just my thoughts for the day... rather unentertaining.
~ch

2 comments:

Vita said...

People see what they choose to see, and someone chose to see you as Mrs. Abruptandrude. It sounds more like an unconscious (or possibly conscious) plan to get out of doing the work to me.

crallspace said...

Hmmm... Yeah, I've gotten shock feedback too. It sucks.

Maybe this mom is just off her rocker. You should say, "You only think this because your kid is a misbehaved brat! YOU are the one who is unapproachable."

That might work. Either way, let me know what she says.