Wednesday, April 12, 2006

One parents question...


Here it is mid April and we're nearing the end of the school year. The teacher in me says yea! (but with hesitation, because I have the coolest kids ever...) The parent in me says yea! because the schedule is out the window and we can stay out and play late into the evening.

Here's my concern... I now have a high school student who is involved in many activities (yea!) but when is too much too much?

This is a child who is outgoing and friendly and is becoming quite a wonderful human being because of the extras... music, sports and student council. If I limit those options, school becomes less of an interesting place to attend.
The regular classes... science, math, language are fairly low on the radar grade wise. So how does one help their child to become internally motivated without nagging and defeating the purpose?

One of the "fun" classes has an outing this week, which requires this student to be out of school. This student has a crucial roll in the outing, however I have corresponded with the teacher saying "my child is behind in schoolwork and will not be able to attend."
I received a message back saying that "the kid is needed on the trip..."

I know what I'm going to do...

What would you do?

Thanks,
~ch

6 comments:

Vita said...

Oh! My!! What ARE you going to do? Yikes. Heavens! What the heck? Oh, dear! Gracious me. You are a wonderful parent.

Unknown said...

What the heck is right dear Vita!
What would you do? that's the question! : )
~ch

MsAmber said...

I would let my student go on the outing.
I don't put as much weight on grades and G.P.A.s because I look for appropriate improvements in maturity. Not all kids are destined to be straight A's.
All the kids I know are high risk for dropping out, so I appreciate when they have any interest in going to school. Even if it is just for the extracurricular activities.
But then, I'm not a Mom, and I don't know your particular child, so I can't definitively answer for you.
But I would let them go.
MsAmber

Vita said...

This is what I would do. I'd let him go. Don't want to make him start hating school. Just encourage the boy. (He must be pretty broke by now.) He is lucky to have such a great mom.

BoggyWoggy said...

Hmmm...knowing this boy personally puts me in a quandry. I have one question to ask:
If you don't let him go, will things change?
If you do let him go, will things change?
If you don't let him go and tell him to expect this type of consequence in the future, unless his grades improve, will that change anything? Probably not...on all accounts...so
Let him go! Oh...My!!! This was over a year ago! I bet you let him go!

Unknown said...

I did let him go : )
Grades are still not the best, but he's passing all classes.
Oh my, BG... are you reading all of my posts? Will you find the one where I wrote about an evening with your family???