Friday, August 11, 2006

To Ms. Amber

OK Ms. Amber... This is for you : )

Caching, or Geocaching is a "sport" where by use of coordinates, one searches for treasure. You can go onto Geocaching.com and get a pretty good idea. You can also check here.
Most people use a global positioning system (GPS), but some prefer to look at a map and use all the information available to them to find the booty.

It goes somewhat like this. I go to the geocaching site and look up where caches are located. I plug in the coordinates and hit the trail. Sometimes I'm lucky and find the cache, sometimes not... that's the fun. Also, I get to spend loads of time with my kids, friends and sometimes my husband. Though, since he doesn't have his own gps, he is rather bored when we go out.
Some people don't give the coordinates, but give you a mind bending puzzle to figure out the location. This is where the really smart people and me separate! Someday maybe, I'll be able to figure out how to collate acrostic : )
One of the strange things I have found is that this game is rather addicting. And as I sit here in beautiful Oregon with the sun setting, I'm thinking..."do I have time to get just one more in?" Sick, right?
You should go and give it a try. I own a Garmin etrex. It's one of the least expensive gps units around (>$100) and all the joy of hiking and using my brain!
Thanks for asking!
~ch

3 comments:

crallspace said...

May I just observe that I connected you and Ms. Amber. I am great at connecting people! Yeah. Sheeit.

Unknown said...

Thank you Crall : )

Vita said...

Hello. I'm back. Stole computer away from DD and as a thoughtful gesture to me, she put on the newly released STACK CD. I'm listneing. Tell me Yes or Tell me No. (They just sang that.) Byeee.