Sunday, August 26, 2007

I Have Pears

I have pears from our yard. We didn't plant these trees, they were grandfathered in... I don't like pears too much, but I thought I try and do something with them this year.

I searched online for how to can pears, but then I read you need to be really careful, or you can get botulism. I suppose that can happen with any sort of canning, but it was enough to scare me off.

So, I've decided to dry them...

I went to the backyard and sliced up the pears and dunked the slices in apple juice to keep them from browning. Then I just placed the pear slices into the dehydrator... I hope they turn out!

~ch

5 comments:

BoggyWoggy said...

I bet your dried pears will look a lot like the skin on my face...wrinkly!

Vita said...

Wow. You have a dehydrator. Did you buy anything new yesterday?

Unknown said...

No, nothing new, but I did get some great ideas for my baskets!

MsAmber said...

Botulism comes from the blossom end of the fruit - or green beans. Just be sure to cut the blossom end off and can them for the right amount of time and you will be fine. My mother wouldn't let me can green beans for many years out of fear of botulism. She had to do it herself. She was afraid I would get lazy and not take a blossom end off of a bean.

tkn said...

we're making wine again with the pears from our neighbors yard. something to think about for next year. its a fun hobby that doesn't take much investment or effort.