Monday, July 21, 2008

On GED's, Geocaching, Traveling and my Husband!

Quesadilla man?
This week was a busy one for the hippy family. Thing 1 and 2 have been enjoying their summer and I've been wrangling.

Thing 1 has decided that school is not for him and that the GED is the route to go. I agree with him that school is not a fit for him... after 11 years of arguing and struggling through the school years, I'm ready to let it go. Although, there's a huge part of me that just wishes he would conform to the norm.... and then then there's another huge part of me that would be soooo sad if he did (I can have two huge parts.) He has one final test to take and then he's done! He's passed all four sections with scores that are higher than 80% of graduating seniors. I know he's retained the information and he knows how to apply it.


Successful GED obtainers include...

Conductor, Zubin Mehta

ABC news anchor, Peter Jennings

Microsoft's Bill Gates

Actors,Bill Cosby and Michael J. Fox

Unsuccessful GED obtainers...
uh, I dunno.

I started Weight Watchers last week. We'll see how this goes... I'm diggin' counting points. I've turned it into a game. How much can I eat and still have a boat-load of points left over?

Da Vinci Day's was this last weekend in Corvallis. I didn't think I'd be available, so I didn't volunteer... but as it turns out, somehow I volunteered and didn't know about it : ) I helped out in the Geocaching booth. These people are great...and funny! Friday night was set up and very few people actually came to the booth. Friday night's usually all about the head liner band. Last year it was Pink Martini (SO MUCH FUN!) This year was Beau Soleil, (sleepier than I prefer, but I think many people enjoyed themselves) I left after the third tune.

I wasn't available Saturday, but was there for Sunday morning... the kickoff of the Geocaching Competition. I signed people in along with one of the organizers, Matt. We gave them rules, a gps and a start time... and then, sent them on their way!

My wonderful husband had two concerts to play in yesterday. I played in the first one (in Corvallis) then we headed down to Eugene where he played with the Eugene Symphonic Band. They were OUTSTANDING and I was so proud to be his wife... especially when he played the tuba solo on "If I Only had a Brain" from the Wizard of OZ. Those of you who know us will understand why that was particularly ironic.

We came back to town and the night sky was beautiful! Best of all, both (BOTH I tells ya!) children were going on sleepovers....Oh happy day!!


My plan is to leave for California on Wednesday morning with my gps, palm, iPod and handheld PC and drive slowly down to Cali while geocaching all the way. I wish my husband had some time to take off, but it's not going to happen this summer. He went to Chicago last week for a couple of days for work... that's not any fun, but he was able to spend some time with his mom and that was good. Maybe, we can go on a weekend to the coast before summer's out.

Boggywoggy wants to spend her day at home getting things done. That's what I should do, but I hear the satellites calling....

I hope to start blogging more, I like it once I get going!

~ch

2 comments:

Vita said...

I have heard your husband play that in a rehearsal. Hey! DD got 5 of the 21 geocaches and wants to do it again.

Unknown said...

Yea for DD! She can come with me and Thing 2 sometime if she likes : )
You sounded great tonight!