Saturday, May 27, 2006

Thar be Buried Treasure in Them Hills! Arrgh!



My new fun thing to do...

Two weeks ago, a close friend of ours was visited by some friends from Wisconsin. We went to our friends house to meet her visiting friends and the subject of geocaching came up. I had mentioned that I thought this sounded like fun and the wife said... "oh, well I brought my GPS unit and planned to go this weekend, would you like to come along?"

Heck yeah. I'm not one to say "no" to new fun. I figured hiking in the neighboring woods would be a nice way to spend a day. So, we planned to meet at our house on the afternoon of Mothers Day. We live near the woods and thought we would be close to some caches... we were.

We started our trek about 1pm with our friend (I think she's 74 years old... I can't tell anymore...pretty much, I think everyones my age), her friends (I believe around the same age), my husband, our dog and me. It was a warm day and the flowers were blooming. Our friend has bad knees, so she wasn't certain how long she could go for. We did get to the top of a hill (in-between Brandis Park and Timberhill) before she said she didn't like this sort of thing. Luckily, the Timberhill Athletic Center was in view... so we hiked down for a beer and left her there. My husband and dog hiked home to get the car and bring her home. That left me and the visitors to finish our treasure hunt...except that the lady's husband wanted to go with the others out for drinks.

Now, it was down to me and the one lady from Wisconsin. We talked and made friends. I learned that she is a retired P.E. teacher who runs marathons.... this was my day (for pain!) There was no way I was going to give up (I am a tad competitive) and whine about how warm I was, or that my legs were turning into jelly. I pressed on, with a camelback water bag on my back and a ball cap down low on my brow and one beer in my belly.

I had the greatest time. I saw parts of Corvallis that were SO COOL. I trudged (she glided, sweat-free) home around 7:30 that evening. We checked the GPS and it said that we had only gone 7.5 miles. I swear it was longer... but we were up and down hills, through creeks and in some.... so it seemed longer (to me) than it was.

If you are interested in this sort of thing, check out the GeoCaching site. It's a great family activity and adds an element of something accomplished along with a beautiful hike...exercise and fun? Who'd of thought?


"Yargh, I loves me booty"

the,
~ch

2 comments:

Vita said...

That sounds like a whole lot of fun. Don't think I'll do it, though. Too lame. Me, not geocaching. Beer sounds good. My underwear is killing me!

Unknown said...

Ummmm.... sorry to hear about your underwear.

You must feel anonymous!