Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Flaming Lips and Lava Tubes


This weekend, my friend and I loaded up the minivan with teenagers and headed East to Bend, Oregon. Why? Why indeed... to see the Flaming Lips of course!


Lead singer Wayne Coyne came out through the crowd in a giant confetti filled bubble, accompanied by about 20 aliens and 20 Santa Clauses. Once they made it to the stage, the Lips opened with Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. Behind them was a large screen with the words so you could sing along... I wonder if anyone actually needed the words?!

Anyway, we arrived at the amphitheater early enough so the kids were able stand right up close to the stage. My friend and I sat a bit further back and enjoyed watching the kids crowd-surf. It was very sweet how they saved us room to join them up front, but we said we were happy where we were : )

One of the opening bands that played was Deerhoof. That was interesting. That's all I can say.

There were a little over a dozen kids from Corvallis that met up at the concert. Afterwards, we made our pilgrimage to Sherri's for night pie. We were all wide awake with adrenalin and sat up in the hotel room talking for quite a while afterward.

Early the next morning (yesterday) we all got back in the minivan and went searching for lava tubes... Found one!

It was a fun weekend and my son and I were able to spend some time together... though, with a load of other kids... it was nice to see how they all get along and are kind to each other.

Tonight brings a much different concert than last weekends... maybe I'll write about it.

~ch

2 comments:

Vita said...

Hi, Dear Mrs. Hippy. You're too cool, too. But did your son and his friends see the Shindig? The bands The Nobles, the Dots, the Stack, and hey! Dang. I forgot the other one, or if there were more I forgot them, too. I only heard second hand that they were all terrific, very good, etc. I think I would have liked to see the Dots, because I'm intrigued by a band of girls in polka dots. Did they play guitars and drums and things?

Unknown said...

No, they didn't make it to the Shindig... They stayed at home resting for the rest of the weekend : )

I would have liked to have gone also, but we had already gone to the "Bus Project" and then Bobby Seale... wow, it almost sounds like I have a social life...cool.

CU @OSU tonight!