Saturday, May 06, 2006

Sword = Hospital Trip


Well, I knew no good would come of the sword we bought our son ; )

(this isn't our son, or the sword... but I really liked the picture!)

But we were in Edinburgh and hey, there was a sale on swords... What's a parent to do? Anyway, 4 of "thing 1s" friends came over this evening to hang out...cool. Then, thing 1 comes down and says "mom, I think I need to go to the hospital. I ran into the sword."

Thankfully, it was his finger and not his chest, or stomach. The cut was rather deep. I am a huge wuss (is that how you spell it??) when it comes to blood. But this time, I saw bone and fat. The fat was starting to come out of the finger (aaarrrghhh!) I concentrated real hard on not fainting and told his friends that we would be heading over to the hospital and that I'd call them later.

I got the boy in the car and he slumped over and fell asleep (passed out.) He awoke when I parked the car at the emergency room. Of course immediate care had just closed, so yes... it was the emergency room for us.

He was very good. After we were admitted, we sat in a room waiting for our turn. Although the wait wasn't too bad, as we had a fairly entertaining show happening on the other side of the curtain.

The doctor was wonderful. He was honest with thing 1 and told him what would hurt and what wouldn't. He also let him watch the whole cleaning and sewing procedure. I stratigically placed myself right behind the doctor, so I couldn't see a thing, but I was still there.

Two hours later, we went home.

I love being a parent,

~ch

3 comments:

Vita said...

Oh, Oh! My! How long will it hurt? Poor Thing One. You are so brave, what with not fainting and all. Yikes!

Hey! Go look at Mrs. Staggs garden. Remember how? Maybe one time DDaughter will show me how to post links.

Vita said...

More~ Write more!

crallspace said...

Bone and fat huh?

That's no good. Did you go to Good Samaritan? They are outrageous! No competence... ugh... nevermind. If you want to ead about my experience with them, click here.