Sunday, July 12, 2015

Aging - Friends - Future

I just finished watching Djokovic take the Wimbledon Championship from Federer once again. I am in awe of their athleticism. I've always loved sports and love to participate whenever possible, but as the title suggests, I'm thinking about aging... and I'm relatively young!

I watch people moving and I'm envious of how their knees move with what looks like effortless ease. I can't move so effortlessly and this makes me sad. I hope I can do something about it and not sit back and take it. I live in an active community of bicyclists, runners, walkers, rock climbers, etc. and I want to play!

I'm taking a Medrol pak this week - it's steroids and it's supposed to work as an anti-inflammatory. I started 2 days ago and hoped this will help me become more mobile. Except, I'm wondering if I need to have some inflammation for cushion - because ow baby, ow!

I went to the Oregon Country Fair yesterday. It was my first time and it was marvelous! I walked (very slowly) all day and took in the sights (and smells) of the fair. I saw many beautiful confident people and listened to fantastic musicians. I was most impressed with the bass and accordion players - they really were on their game! The only option to sit (that I could find) would be the smoking areas. So, every once and a while I would take advantage of a smokers bench. Thankfully, the majority of the smoke was not from cigarettes.
The food was fantastic and flavor filled and I'm so glad I finally made the trip down.
After dancing at the main stage - and by dancing, I mean favoring one leg and moving around looking super cool - for about an hour, it was time to head home. It was a fairly long trek back to where the car was parked and my friend was very thoughtful and offered to go ahead and bring the car to me.... Oh Hell No! I will walk this walk.  She said "maybe there's a cart that will come by" - again, I wanted no part of that.
We made it to the car and my legs were super happy to be seated. On the way out, I saw a golf cart headed our way. I said "Oh look! There's the cart!" and then I read the sign on it - "Geezer Pleaser."
Well shit. I want no part of that - at least not for another 20 years or so!

The future? I love, love, LOVE Oregon! So many friends, so much beauty to take in, it's redonkuous. But the future? I need to be warm and dry. We've had an unseasonably warm and dry summer thus far and I'm digging it! Though, it's not great for our agriculture and water supply. I try to be mindful of the needs of others, but then I keep thinking about me!

Palm Springs is my home town. Born and raised there and I never wanted to leave - except college and marriage took me on a different and very fun path. I hope to end up there again playing my cello in the symphony. The only thing that could make me happier in Palm Springs, is if there were a PAC 12 school nearby (GO BEAVS!). Nearby enough, that I could work with their marching band, or at-least go to events.

I've written more than usual. I think I have maybe 1, or 2 readers - I'll tag more to hopefully gain a few more. I'd love to hear your experience with alleviating knee pain, Palm Springs and more.

If you've read this, thank you.

~ch

No comments: