Saturday, July 18, 2015

2015 Reading Challenge

I am a slow reader.

I get distracted easily.

So, when I was invited to join a group that's taking on the 2015 Reading Challenge, I said "sure, I'll join your challenge" - Honestly, I thought I'd last for maybe a book, or two and let it slowly fade into a distant memory and devote my time to Candy Crush.

We were visiting family in the midwest for the new year and it was the perfect time to read a book, while others either spent time on their laptops, or waited their turn to take a shower.  I feel the need to tell you my husbands family lives out in the farmlands of Illinois - they are either surrounded by corn, or soybeans depending on the year - Powell's isn't an easy option, so I took to the internet and found I could log into my home library and check out books lickity-split! For free! However, if you've never been and find yourself in Portland, Oregon... Go to Powell's... It smells fabulous.

My first book was La's Orchestra Saves the World  by Alexander McCall Smith. It met my first category - A book set in a different country. The book could have met several other categories, but that's the one I chose. I finished that book fairly quickly and needed another for the flight back to Oregon. I was and am hooked on reading. I bought a Kindle Paperwhite and became an Amazon Prime member.

Since January 2nd, I've completed 34 books with no particular genre. I read both fiction and non-fiction (though, no science fiction, or gooey romance novels - I've tried... I just can't.) I tend to read a novel and then read something to learn about anything. It works for me.

Just finished - Miles to Go by Chris Murphy
Currently reading - Saint Mazie: A Novel by Jami Attenberg
Candy Crush Level - 1071

~ch

6 comments:

Trish said...

:D Love this!

Unknown said...

Thank you!

Vita said...

Slower reader than you. Thirty four is a lot. I like Alexander McCall Smith's books, and have read a few. Not that one, so I'll put it on my list. It will probably take me forever to finish Bully Pulpit, but that's partly because I got distracted by Unbroken, which I'll probably finish first.

Unknown said...

I wish there was a "like" button for comments, because I'd have liked your comment.

Unknown said...

Wow, you already read 34 books since Jan.2nd? You're not a slow reader at all, Kathi. I'm lucky to finish one in a month..

Daisy

Unknown said...

I feel like I'm slow when I'm reading. Often, I need to go back and reread a paragraph because my mind wanders easily.