Friday, May 04, 2007

Am I Typical?

Mothers day is just around the corner. It's one of those holidays that I don't pay much attention to, and as such, or just in addition to, neither does my family.
That's fine with me... As I age, I find that I really don't care much for holidays. This really hit home this past Christmas. I was not excited about buying presents. I'm not (nor is my family) Christian, so why do we celebrate Christmas? Is it peer pressure, because we as parents feel this is a fun thing for kids? Easter is another one of those holidays that I have no connection to whatsoever... I liked coloring eggs with my kids when they were younger, but that was about it. Easter actually creeps me out a bit... and here is where I might get some not so friendly comments. Easter to me is a time where Christians celebrate a man rising from the dead...seriously, ewweee. I have NO desire to be a witness to any sort of dead rising from the grave. And don't get me started on "eating flesh and drinking blood..."

Valentines... forget it. Love me today, love me tomorrow, that's all I ask. Oh, and maybe dinner out now and then.

Same with Mothers day... If I'm your mom, you can love me on all days. But if you insist on buying my a present, I'd like to have a Wii.
~ch

9 comments:

Vita said...

I usually get a plant for Mother's Day, and that's fine with me. Plus getting a little spoiled. That's fine with me, too.

Anonymous said...

My brother has started celebrating "All hail the Zombie Jesus!" day instead of Easter.

We've also toned down the holidays. My birthday circles around Mothers' Day so we've never bothered with doing anything separate. My mom, however, expects a fuss. So I pretend to make a fuss, but it feels forced and I think she knows it.

BoggyWoggy said...

You are amazing...I love how you word things.
I'm right there with you, except, as I'm so far from family, somehow, I expect some sort of magical transformation to occur during the holidays. Instead, my memories of Christmas ahve always involved anxiety, family arguments, feelings of lonliness, and crushed expectations.

I like birthdays, however. I celebrate my children's birthdays like mad. However, I don't want my day to be celebrated...but, then, at the end of the day, for some reason I feel sad.

Unknown said...

Boggywoogy...
I am? You do? Really? cool.

You are around family ALL of the time, what are you talking about? Do you mean extended family? Or family like parents?

I consider my family my immeadiate group here in the house. My mom of course is my family. My aunt, not so much. Maybe because my family is so small to begin with, I only count about 4 others besides myself.

BoggyWoggy said...

My family seems so broken up, sometimes. Being a "divorced Parent" means that I sometimes get only 50% of what you non-divorced folks get...so, I have to stretch my borders to define family. In Oregon, I only have 4 other folks...and they are all difficult. So, I guess I think about OK family in this situation. They are all very close and I've always been on the outside, due to location. However, I'm now beginning to see some of my friends as family...like you! You're like a sister to me...

Anonymous said...

hey, what about me? I called you in the middle of the night in Ireland! Now that's family!

BoggyWoggy said...

Isn't this a great blog? We could keep talking and talking about it! Way to go, CH!

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone!
I came to write in my blog, but found my cookies were not able to perform their duties... I will wait for my HH to fix my cookies and then I'll write a bit more : )

Vita said...

Oh, goody. You're going to write a bit more. What else? Ummmm, Oh. When I go into the Wee Mee dressing room to change my clothes, all the little squares with clothes in them are blank, so I have to guess and just click on a white square, and when I try to talk, it won't let me.