Saturday, September 02, 2006

The Price of Education

Today, Thing 2 tells me that she would like to attend school (university) in the UK. We are all for this... her grades are excellent, she volunteers, she has held down a job for the past 2 1/2 years, so why shouldn't she be able to live her dream?
Thing 2 would like to be a veterinary surgeon, specializing in large animals. The best schools for this (according to Thing 2) are in the UK. At first she wanted to go to OSU, but I'm glad to see she's thinking about branching out...


So, after I drop her off at work today, I go home and check out what she was talking about. There are 6 schools of Vet Med in the UK and she is interested in Oxford (I think for the name) and the Royal Dick school in Edinburgh, Scotland. The qualifications she will meet with no problem, it's the expense where I'm a wee bit concerned. The cost for a North American kid to go to school will be 18,000 pounds a year (roughly $34,000.) I really hope she qualifies for scholarships, grants, etc.


It's still a few years before this really gets scary. Some of you may think, oh, she'll change her mind at least a dozen times before she makes her final decision. But she's not the average kid... dang and hooray!


I notice that any student coming from North America will need to have at least 2 years of science studies at an American university, so maybe we'll get to have her at OSU too!
~ch

4 comments:

Corvallist said...

Funny. Corvallist kid wanted to attend school in Wales, primarily because she fell in love with a small town near Swansea when we were there. But she does change her mind often and wildly, varying from pediatric trauma surgeon to archaeologist to... tattoo artist. *sigh* So I won't worry too much until she's closer to actually going.

Unknown said...

I like that kid of yours!
Thing 2s objective is to be a large animal vet in Wales. She does not like flying (much to her parents dismay), so she wants to go to school in the UK and then easily move to Wales.

Vita said...

Like that girl of yours, and wish her great good fortune. Like the boy, too, as he plays drums with sticks, and I like hearing drums played with sticks. There was a hammered dulcimer playing at the Saturday Market this morning, and she was really good, but I got annoyed with the sound the guitar player started making when he beat on a drum head. Why is it sometimes I like that, and sometimes I don't like it, like today. Is it me? Maybe sometimes I'm just not in the mood? 237?

Unknown said...

I don't care much for hammer dulcimer... it's a tad calm for me... I almost wrote clam. Yea. That's right, the hammer dulcimer is a tad clam for me.