Saturday, June 10, 2006

Should I Give my Mobile Service the Boot?

Last month, I changed my cell phone service to C------r, as it is the only provider that I can get service with while I am working. I really only have the phone so my kids can reach me, so I changed thinking that would be a good thing.

When I first signed up, I was told that my phone has quad-band (something like that...) and can be used in countries other than the U.S. Cool... I do a bit of traveling, but not so much that I need to purchase the international plan. I was assured that whenever I was planning on leaving the states, I just needed to come into the C------r office and sign up for the plan for however long I would be gone. Although, the plan is 1 month at a time minimum. This is no big deal, it's only $6 for a month.

I am planning on a trip this summer and so I go into the phone place. They are very nice and helpful. The clerk needs to make a phone call to the international people first and they might like to talk to me personally. O.K. fine.

She makes the call and as suspected, the international lady wants to talk to me. I get on the phone and she says that I'll be taking a SHORT TEST (wtf?) She began by telling me that will ask questions regarding my past and should I answer any of these questions incorrectly, I will FAIL the exam (again...wtf?)

Question #1: "I'm going to name several addresses, please tell me which one of these did you not reside?"

Me: "You are kidding right?"

"Just answer the question."

I answer.

Question #2: "The vehicle purchased before the last was financed through which financial institution?"

Me: "For Gods Sake! Fail me. Fail me now." "I don't have a clue who's financing my current vehicle, much less the last one!"

I handed the phone back to the clerk and said it's NOT that important that I take my phone with me.

Was this some sort of Homeland Security policy?! It's six dollars!! What was this about?

Anybody know? Conspiracy theories welcome...

BTW: The clerks at my C-----r office were very helpful. I appreciate their efforts and I in no way connect them to my international phone test.
the internationally unconnected,
~ch

6 comments:

Corvallist said...

Actually, that's standard procedure during credit checks through some companies. If you ever order your own credit report online through the Big 3 (Experian, TransUnion, Equifax), they will usually throw a couple of questions like that at you to verify your identity. Small price to pay to avoid identity theft!

Unknown said...

I agree about the identity theft. Although, my memory retention is keeping my from using my own identity : )

Dang.

Vita said...

When we had some sort of problem, actually Grams bought DD the wrong sort of phone card as a birthday gift, and I was trying to exchange it, they were very concerned about theft, and thought I'd stolen the card and receipt from someone, but they eventually went ahead and worriedly exchanged it for me, and it worked. When they tried to contact the wrong card's phone company they couldn't get through, so he gave up trying. He was worried the card was stolen, then he was worried that it was used when we said it wasn't. Grams told them when she bought the card that she wasn't sure what kind of phone DD had!

I think it's pretty funny that you can't remember how you financed your car or your car-before-last. You're adorable.

DD should see you at work on Monday. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

whatever you do, be sure to take your NSA homing device (aka "cell phone")with you wherever you go.

Vita said...

And go see Kinkyboots at the Darkside.

crallspace said...

CH--- I would suggest setting up a cell phone thru a provider that will not give your info to the NSA criminals... A cell service that can save you money, and will set you a George W doormat as a gift for signing up. I want to cancel my verizon phone and go with these guys. Check out Working assets.

http://www.workingassets.com/

Let me know what you think.