Thursday, June 15, 2006

Last Day of School!

It's here...The last day of school! The kids are officially off a schedule : )
Things to do...

Go on a family vacation.
Enjoy being dry.
Talk to the neighbors.
Pot luck on nights when the refrigerator is running low on goods.
Cache.
Bike ride.
Shop down town.
Summer camp.

I was listening to OPB on my way home yesterday listening to an interview with a principal who believes that children of today have their free time too scheduled. I agree. She said that today's student is too reliant upon their parents to schedule them for lessons, play dates, sports etc. She also noted that when at recess, kids have more difficulty making up games. Imagination is diminished when kids aren't given the freedom to exercise it. Most of the kids (on her playground at least) gravitate to organized games with set rules, like soccer, football, baseball etc.
I'm excited for summer, not because I'm a teacher and I'll have some free time, but because I'll have some time with my kids. Though, as they get older, spending time with mom probably isn't what they had in mind for summer ; )
I'll be with them when I can. I'll do a lot of what's on my list when I can't and hopefully I can combine the two!
~ch

2 comments:

crallspace said...

Thanks for the warning.


Brat dodging on the agenda!

Corvallist said...

I completely agree... kids who are overscheduled are also more stressed and exhausted. I do think it's great that Corvallis offers so much to do...kids here have lots of choices. But I feel sorry for the ones who have to be shuttled from lesson to session to "experience" all summer long.

Summer is for having nothing to do and finding something anyway!